Thursday, January 11, 2007

Aleph-One, Shmaleph-One

"Alec, you know this stuff, does the power set of the Integers have the same cardinality as the Reals?"

Now, every time I think I know how to answer this question, some math guy comes along and babbles on about the Continuum Hypothesis, and I get confused about when my cardinals have Hebrew names. I believe it's well accepted that whatever the cardinality of the Reals might be, it is denoted c.

I think this sucks. It looks like a variable or a constant, and lacks something of the dignity I feel an infinite cardinal should have. Worse, though, you can't pronounce c without establishing context first. Consider: when we talk about Ackermann's Function, we don't call it "aye", we call it "Ackermann's Function". When we talk about Graham's Number, we say "Graham's Number" more often than "gee-sixty-four". (When we talk about them together, mathematicians get upset)

So, not being so visual, I ask you, oh Internet, for a new symbol to denote the cardinality of the Continuum. Hmmmm.... a.... Hieroglyphic Yielding the Amount of the Reals... HYAR... Yes! Come up with any symbol you like. People can vote or something. But from now on, however many reals there happen to be, that number shall be called (in a throaty pirate voice) "HYAR!"